Today’s guest is a walking, talking miracle! Not only did she survive a massive stroke and fully recover, but because Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor is also a Harvard-trained neuroscientist, she is able to explain what happened in her brain, and why ALL brains are miraculous.
Last week I reviewed Dr. Jill Bolte-Taylor’s latest book, Whole Brain Living. In case you missed it, here is a bit of information about her: You may know her from her 2008 TED Talk and her best-selling book, My Stroke of Insight. In 1996 Jill Bolte Taylor, a 37-year-old Harvard-trained brain scientist experienced a massive stroke when a blood vessel exploded in the left side of her brain. A neuroanatomist by profession, she observed her own mind completely deteriorate to the point that she could not walk, talk, read, write, or recall any of her life, all within the space of four brief hours.
Although she did recover from that trauma and went on to write a best-selling book, she felt that she failed to help people see what the most important thing she discovered from that experience- that we are all one.
In this episode, Dr. Jill will share how getting to know the four quadrants of your own brain as four distinct characters will give you the power to CHOOSE who and how you want to be in any moment. What freedom!!! She also teaches how to have a “brain huddle” with these four characters whenever you need to make a decision.
I am so honored to share this interview with you and hope you find it as helpful as I did.
Watch the Full Video Episode:
“Freedom is the ability to choose, moment by moment, who and how we want to be.” – Dr. Jill Bolte-Taylor
1) Your brain is comprised of four main areas, and those areas have a ‘personality,’ so to speak: the Left thinking, Left emotional, Right emotional and Right Thinking.
2) Once you name them and begin to understand how they are influencing you, you can then CHOOSE who and how you want to be on any given day. You no longer have to feel like a victim to your emotions.
3) A “Brain Huddle” consists of these steps:
B – Bring your mind to the present moment – breath
R – Recognize which character called the huddle
A – Appreciate that there are four of us
I – Inquire- what do I want to be next?
N – Navigate life moment by moment
To find out more about Dr. Jill’s work, visit www.drjilltaylor.com
To join the Magnify Your Miracles membership, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you love the image on the wall behind me of Mother Mary Blessing the World, you can order your own museum quality copy at www.deepaliu.com
Enjoying the show?
For iTunes listeners, get automatic downloads and share the love by subscribing, rating & reviewing here!
How to leave a review on iTunes
- Launch Apple’s Podcast app.
- Tap the Search tab.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast.
- Tap the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
- Enter your iTunes password to login.
- Tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review.
- Tap Send.